Homemade Mediterranean Hummus
Contributed by: News Canada
Country Harvest Mediterranean Hummus Sandwich on Whole Grain Bread
(NC) - For a sandwich packed with protein, healthy whole grains and taste, try homemade hummus. To double that nutritional impact, combine a selection of cancer fighting foods like chick peas, whole grains, leafy greens, vitamin C rich foods like citrus fruits and fresh herbs.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chickpeas or one-540 mL (19 fl oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled (add an extra clove if you love garlic)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, approx. 4 tbsp (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini - (see note)
- 4 green olives with pimento
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) loosely packed fresh rosemary, stems removed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) loosely packed fresh oregano leaves, stems removed
- 1 tsp (10 mL) loosely packed fresh thyme leaves, stems removed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) red pepper flakes (optional)
Place chickpeas into a large food processor.
Add shallots, garlic, juice and zest of lemon, tahini, olives, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Pulse until well combined, scraping down sides occasionally. Process until smooth. Add red pepper flakes if desired and pulse till combined.
Store in a re-sealable container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To make a sandwich:
- 2 slices Country Harvest 12-Grain bread
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared hummus
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) arugula leaves
- 2 slices tomato
Spread the hummus equally onto one side of each slice of Country Harvest 12-Grain bread
Place tomato on one side. Top with arugula. Top with second slice. Lightly press down, cut in half and serve.
What Is Tahini?
Tahini is sesame seed paste. You can find it in the ethnic section of your supermarket, or with the other nut butters, or at any health food store.
Stir well before using and store in your fridge for up to 6 months.
More great recipes featuring whole grains can be found online at www.countryharvest.com.
Serving Size: Makes 2 Cups (500 mL) or 8 - 1/4 Cup (60 mL) Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Sandwich: 387 Calories, 15 g Protein, 9 g Total Fat, .5 g Saturated Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 569 mg Sodium, 61 g Carbs, 10 g Fibre