Hearty Slap Shot Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Real men eat salad! The Hearty Slap Shot Salad, with Newman's Own all-natural dressing, is perfect for the hockey lover or sports enthusiast in your family.
When you serve this salad, named for the classic Paul Newman movie, everyone wins: all the royalties and profits from the sale of his food products are donated to charity via the Newman's Own Foundation. To date, Paul Newman and Newman's Own Foundation have donated more than $265 million to charities in the U.S., Canada and around the world.
- Half 450 g pkg fusilli pasta (regular or whole wheat)
- Newman's Own Caesar Dressing, as desired
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oil-cured black olives
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) drained marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.
Add the Newman's Own Caesar Dressing to hot pasta; toss to coat. Cool, stirring occasionally.
Add basil, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and parsley; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving).
Add more fresh vegetables like grape tomatoes, cooked asparagus, or baby spinach to pack more nutrients into your salad.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings