Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A classic guacamole recipe is a staple for any host. To mix it up, play with the heat - turn it up by adding more peppers, or for a milder taste cut back. Once you know the basics, it's easy.
- 1 cup diced sweet onion 250 mL
- 1/4 cup minced, seeded jalapeno peppers (about two peppers) 50 mL
- 3 ripe avocados from Mexico, peeled, pitted and diced 3
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 50 mL
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice 45 mL
- 2 tsp minced garlic 10 mL
- 1 tsp coarse salt 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper 2 mL
In medium bowl, combine onion, jalapeno peppers and avocados. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper, mix thoroughly. Serve with crisp tortilla chips and extra lime wedges. Best if enjoyed within one day.
For extra kick, leave the seeds in the pepper.
How to select avocados
- In the grocery store, you should select avocados based on their colour. If you want to consume them right away, you should be looking for avocados that are not too green and have a dark, almost black skin (don't squeeze them, this bruises the avocado).
- If you don't plan to eat them for a couple of days, buy green avocados and place them on the counter in a paper bag with a banana or apple for a day or two until they ripen. Ripe avocados will be dark in colour and soft when gently pressed.
- If you really don't want to have to plan ahead, buy avocados every time you visit the grocery store - that way you'll always have a ripe one on hand whenever you get a craving. Ripe avocados can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Serving Size: Makes about 2 Cups