Macaroni Salad with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing
Contributed by: NAPSA
Macaroni Salad For The Perfect Picnic
(NAPSA) - With a basket on hand and a well-stocked summer pantry, it's never too late for an impromptu picnic.
A versatile starter or main dish for the outing is Macaroni Salad with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing. Extra virgin olive oil, tangy vinegar and fresh herbs combine with seasonal vegetables, white beans and elbow macaroni to create a colorful dish that's flavor-packed and easy to prepare. This recipe makes a generous side salad. To serve as a main dish, add two cans (6 oz. each) of white albacore tuna or cooked chicken.
Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes - Cook Time: 10 minutes (pasta)
- 1 package (16 oz.) elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, such as navy, cannellini or great northern; drained and rinsed
- 1 can (6 oz.) sliced, pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 1/3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Bring 1 gallon of water to boil. Add salt and macaroni and cook until just tender; drain and rinse with water until cool.
While pasta cooks, mix remaining salad ingredients in large bowl. When pasta is cooled, add to salad. (Can be covered and refrigerated up to 2 hours.)
For the dressing, mix lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil to form a thick dressing. When ready to serve, add dressing to salad, toss to coat, and serve.
For more recipes, and other cooking tips using heart-healthy olive oil, visit the Web site at www.aboutoliveoil.org.
Serving Size: Makes 12 (3/4 Cup) Servings