Thai Hot and Sour Soup with Coconut Milk
Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
There is an absolutely incredible Thai vegetarian restaurant called ChuChai in Montreal that's one of the best we've eaten at! Here's my take on their hot & sour coconut milk soup.
- 5 Cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 lemongrass stalks - white and light green sections only
- 3 lime leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper - cored and diced in 1/2" pieces
- 12 fresh shitake mushroom - stemmed and sliced in 1/4" slices
- 12 cherry tomatoes - quartered
- 6 baby bok choi - sliced in 1/2" slices
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian fish sauce
- 1 block medium firm tofu - cut in 1/4" cubes
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 can (19 oz) coconut milk
- 1/4 Cup Thai basil - minced
- Jasmine rice
- Variety of lightly steamed vegetables
Remove a couple of layers of outer skin from lemongrass and cut into 1" pieces.
Remove center stem from lime leaves. Peel garlic. Combine in food processor and process until finely minced.
Combine broth, red curry paste, lemongrass, lime leaves and garlic in soup pot. Whisk together and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes until very fragrant.
Add red pepper, shitake mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and baby bok choi. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium low and add vegetarian fish sauce, cubed tofu, sugar and coconut milk. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add Thai basil.
Add rice and some lightly steamed vegetables to a large soup bowl and top with hot soup.