Citrus Chicken Stir Fry Wraps
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Busy training schedules need not lose out to healthy meals with this portable rice wrap. Packed with the essentials - energy enhancing carbohydrates, fibre and protein - athletes can rest assured they are receiving the necessary nutrients for optimal performance.
- 2 cups trimmed, cut into small pieces, broccoli (may use frozen) 500 mL
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips 500 g
- 1 tbsp cornstarch 15 mL
- 1 tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces 6
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce 50 mL
- 1/4 cup water 50 mL
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments 1
- 1 cup cooked, U.S. long grain brown rice 250 mL
- 4 10-inch (25 cm) flax seed whole grain wraps 4
- 8 sprigs, fresh cilantro 8
In a small glass bowl, microwave broccoli until tender crisp, about 3 minutes. (If using frozen, thaw by placing broccoli in a colander and running it under hot tap water for about 30 seconds). Drain.
In a small bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch until coated. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. In the same skillet, add green onion, garlic, hoisin, water, oranges and broccoli. Cook until onions soften and sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chicken back to skillet and remove from heat.
Divide rice over the middle third of each wrap. Arrange chicken mixture over top and place cilantro over each. Fold in sides and roll to enclose the filling. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: about 430 cal, 34 g pro, 9 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 49 g carb, 6 g fibre, 65 mg chol, 520 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 15%, calcium 6%, vit A 20%, vit C 70%