Spinach Butter Chicken
Contributed by: News Canada
Whip Up A Frugal Family Feast
(NC) - With today's hectic lifestyles, cooking meals at home that are easy to prepare and easy on the wallet can be challenging. By using the right kitchen appliance, Canadians can prepare a frugal feast for the whole family without paying a hefty price tag or sacrificing too much time.
"On average, a family of four who eats out once a week is spending at least $3,000 a year," says Korey Kealey, food and entertaining specialist, Food Thought Communications. "Busy parents should consider introducing a Crock-Pot slow cooker to the meal planning mix to save money and time in the kitchen. A slow cooker offers at-home chefs an easy and functional option for creating homemade meals like Spinach Butter Chicken - a healthy and delicious dinner that will cost approximately less than $4 a serving."
When purchasing a slow cooker, look for a model with special features. The 6.0 Qt. Embossed Crock-Pot Smart-Pot Slow Cooker has a programmable touchpad that selects cook time and temperature and even auto-shifts to "warm" setting when the meal is done.
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: High 4-6 hours or Low 8-10 hours
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (5.5 fl oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each: ground ginger, curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each: ground cumin, cinnamon, coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cardamom
- 1 lb (454 g) skinless chicken thighs (with or without bone) about 6-8 pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 cup (250mL) 3% plain yogurt
- Toasted cashews, cilantro, to garnish
Place onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, butter, ginger, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom and chicken into Crock-Pot slow cooker; stir. Cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 8-10 hours. Chicken will shred when finished.
Mix in spinach, lime juice and yogurt, garnish with cashews and cilantro.
Delicious served with jasmine or basmati rice. Make up your own little packages of spice mixture for a last minute dinner idea.
More slow cooking tips and family-friendly recipes are available at www.crock-pot.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 6 - 8 Servings