Spiced Smashed New Potatoes
Contributed by: News Canada
Try This "Smashing" Twist On Ontario New Potatoes
(NC) - Nothing helps keep summer's sizzle alive into the fall quite like smashing and spicing Ontario new potatoes. These bite-sized spuds have a light crunch and just the right amount of chili spice. Smashing potatoes with a meat mallet is not only a great stress reliever, breaking the skin helps the flavour penetrate the whole spud.
Ontario potatoes are available year -round. You can find more easy-to-prepare and delicious recipes at www.ontariopotatoes.ca.
- 1 lb (500 g) new mini Ontario potatoes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 long hot chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coriander seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarse salt
Using flat side of meat mallet, crack each potato to break the skin.
In large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium low heat. Add potatoes, parsley, chili pepper, coriander seeds and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden.
Add fresh coriander and salt and stir to combine before serving.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings