Great Grill Sides
Contributed by: NAPSA
(NAPSA) - Craving something different to serve with favorite grilled foods? These two salads deliver on flavor and satisfy a wide range of tastes. Sunny citrus complements grilled fish, pork and poultry. Savory potato is a delicious side to hamburger, sausage or lamb.
Sunny Citrus Salad
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 small bunch arugula, separated and stems removed (or use spinach)
- 2 heads endive, leaves separated and cores removed
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado (preferably Hass) peeled, pit removed and quartered, cut into thin fan slices
- 2 ounces Jarlsberg or Jarlsberg Lite cheese, julienned
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Arrange equal amounts of arugula and endive in pattern across top of each plate. Place avocado fan on opposite side. Arrange citrus sections on either side of avocado. Top with cheese and walnuts.
Serve with Vinaigrette: In bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons each canola oil and orange juice, 2 teaspoons minced red onion, 1/8 teaspoon each black pepper and dried basil.
New Potato-Cheese Salad
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 pound small new potatoes, cooked, cooled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Jarlsberg or Jarlsberg Lite cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
In large mixing bowl, toss potatoes with onion and vinegar. In skillet, saute mushrooms in oil over medium heat until tender, about 2 minutes. Add chives and saute for 1 minute more. Stir in lemon juice. Divide potatoes between four plates and top with equal amounts mushroom mixture, cheese and walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Upscale your barbecue, with a variety of condiments, from the traditional (pickle relish, ketchup, mayonnaise, grilled onions) to unique (artichoke or sun-dried tomato tapanades, chipotle sauce, fruit salsas, caponata). Have a few interesting cheese choices to top burgers, steaks, chicken or fish from a creamy Boursin to piquant Spanish Gran Maestre Manchego. For those with lactose sensitivity, offer fresh Chevrai or luscious goat Brie (such as Woolwich Dairy).
For more ideas, visit www.norseland.com.