Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Spring Vegetable Rice Salad
Contributed by: NAPSA
Quick Ways To Slim Down
(NAPSA) - You don't have to buy expensive foods or try miracle diets to shape up for summer. Use these easy, healthy tips to burn fat so you can look and feel better just in time for swimsuit season.
- Eat more frequently (every two to three hours). Going longer without food can send your blood sugar and energy levels plummeting, which can make you crave high-sugar, high-fat foods. To eat smarter during a busy day, consume nutritious low-fat and low-sugar snacks between meals. Try fruits or nuts. For a quick, healthy meal or a lunch in the office, try Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice. This nutty-tasting rice is ready after 60 seconds in the microwave and can be mixed with a variety of ingredients, from honey to vegetables.
- Don't skip breakfast. Starting your day with a healthy meal is the best way to boost your metabolism and burn off extra calories. Try to eat within the first hour of your day because energy has been depleted the night before. If you skip breakfast, your body will shift into starvation mode and begin to conserve energy, thus burning fewer calories.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber fills you up fast, allowing you to eat less and see pounds disappear. To fight hunger and give yourself an energetic boost, choose fiber-rich vegetables such as broccoli and asparagus and stock your pantry with a variety of whole grains such as brown rice, bulgur and oats. Whether you are preparing a dish or a salad, don't reach for the white potatoes and bread. Think whole grains and you'll be rewarded with additional fiber and anti-aging nutrients. And if you don't want to wait 45 minutes to cook brown rice, try Minute Brown Rice, which is ready in 10 minutes but still contains the same nutrients as long-cooking brown rice. For a delicious and healthy spring meal, try this easy recipe:
- 2 cups Minute Brown Rice, uncooked
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cut-up asparagus spears (1-inch), cooked, cooled
- 1 cup light salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Prepare rice according to package directions. Toss rice with tomatoes and asparagus in medium bowl. Mix remaining ingredients until well blended. Add to rice mixture; toss to coat.
Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings