Warm Salmon Pasta Salad
Contributed by: NAPSA
Top 10 Ingredients For Recession-Proof, Healthy Cooking
(NAPSA) - Stock your kitchen with these 10 foods to make nutritious meals while saving money:
- Pour Your Heart into Canola Oil. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration agrees that 1.5 tablespoons of canola oil a day may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The oil is free of trans fat and has the least saturated fat and most omega-3 fat of all common cooking oils.
- Pulse for Health. Pulses (lentils, dry beans) offer protein, fiber and iron. They are low in fat, calories and sodium.
- Best Cluck for Your Buck. A skinless chicken breast is high in protein and low in saturated fat. An egg has 13 essential nutrients for only 75 calories.
- Save Moolah on Lean Proteins. Extra-lean ground beef has only 2.4 grams saturated fat and is high in protein, B vitamins and iron. Low-fat cottage cheese is a great source of protein and calcium.
- Go Fish. Canned or pouch tuna and salmon offer heart-smart omega-3 fat, high protein and B vitamins.
- Think Green. Green vegetables are free of saturated fat and cholesterol and good sources of fiber, antioxidants and more.
- Choose ABC Fruits. Apples, bananas and citrus fruits are fat- and cholesterol-free and a good source of vitamins and fiber.
- Go with the Whole Grain. Whole grains are great sources of dietary fiber, B vitamins and iron.
- Enjoy a Taste of the Sun. Raisins are a good source of antioxidants, potassium, iron and fiber.
- Get in Touch with Your Roots. Underground vegetables such as carrots and potatoes are fat- and cholesterol-free with vitamin C and other nutrients.
Here's a recipe that uses some of these healthy, inexpensive ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- 2 (6-oz.) cans sockeye salmon, flaked
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
In salad bowl, combine pasta, apple, salmon, celery, green onions, zucchini, yellow pepper and peas. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine canola oil, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper. Heat for 30 seconds in microwave. Pour over salad and toss lightly. Garnish with walnuts. Serve immediately.
Price per serving: $2.
For more recipes and nutrient analysis, go to www.CanolaInfo.org.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings