Contributed by: NAPSA
At-Home Bistro On A Budget
(NAPSA) - Here's a simple-to-prepare, all-in-one main dish with bistro roots. Made with seasonal vegetables, affordable chicken thighs and mashed potatoes flavored with creamy, mellow-nutty Jarlsberg cheese, it could easily become a family favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 zucchini cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 3 pounds boneless chicken thighs, with most of the skin removed
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces, cooked and mashed (OR use equivalent amount instant mashed potatoes)
- 2 cups shredded or grated Jarlsberg cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for sprinkling)
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, zucchini and carrots; saute quickly until tender (about 10 minutes). Remove vegetables from skillet; set aside.
In same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Brown chicken pieces in small batches until golden. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour fat from pan. Slowly add 2 cups broth, scraping up any brown bits; return chicken to skillet, add parsley; reduce heat, cover and cook 20 minutes.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk together over low heat, 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth with cream and whisk until thickened. Add to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. In large bowl, mix mashed potatoes with 1 1/2 cups grated cheese.
For individual portions:
In each individual souffle dish, place a piece of chicken with portion of sauteed vegetables. Pour 1/2 cup sauce overall. Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Place dishes on baking tray and bake 20 minutes at 350 F. Place under hot broiler (or continue baking) to brown potato topping. Serve immediately.
For Casserole Style:
Place chicken in large ovenproof casserole. Add vegetables and sauce. Cover with potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes. If desired, pass under broiler to brown potato topping.
More recipes, cooking tips and nutritional information are online at www.norseland.com.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings