Chunky Macadamia Bars
Contributed by: NAPSA
Bars And Brownies Made With Macadamia Nuts Are Nutritious And Delicious
(NAPSA) - Here's mouthwatering news: You can give family and friends decadent desserts with good-for-you nuts in them.
Macadamia nuts are a concentrated source of monounsaturated fat, which, when eaten regularly, may help displace sources of cholesterol-raising saturated fats in the diet.
In addition to their great taste, the nuts are cholesterol free and contain important nutrients including protein and fiber. They're also a delicious way to get vitamins such as B6 and thiamine, and minerals including magnesium, copper, selenium, phosphorus and manganese. What's more, research suggests that nuts contain naturally occurring plant compounds, or phytochemicals, which may have health benefits as well.
Here are two recipes you may care to try:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Hershey's(r) Mini Kisses(r) Brand Milk Chocolates, divided
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped Mauna Loa(r) Macadamia Nuts
- Vanilla glaze (recipe follows)
Heat oven to 375 F.
Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add flour and baking soda; blend well. Stir in 1 cup baking pieces and nuts; press into ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup chocolates.
Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Drizzle vanilla glaze over top; allow to set. Cut into bars.
Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl; stir until smooth. About 1/3 cup glaze.
Makes 24 Bars
Supreme Chocolate Saucepan Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Hershey's(r) Cocoa
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Hershey's(r) Special Dark(r) Chocolate Chips or Hershey's(r) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Mauna Loa(r) Macadamia Baking Pieces
Heat oven to 350 F.
Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and cocoa; stir to blend. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts. Spread in prepared pan.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and begin to crack slightly; do not underbake. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
You can find more information and a variety of recipes online at www.hersheys.com.
Makes 24 Brownies