Balsamic Glazed Pear and Goat Cheese Crostini
Contributed by: NAPSA
Perfectly Pleasing Pears Spice Up Home Gatherings
(NAPSA) - You don't have to break the bank to make home entertaining special. In fact, something as simple as a few pieces of fruit can make an elegant and festive decoration-plus, when your guests leave, you can turn your decor into a sweet yet healthy treat.
For instance, rustic-colored, sweet-tasting USA Pears can be used as decor in any room while they're ripening in a beautiful fruit bowl. Just tuck in fresh-cut evergreen from your yard or other items from your boxes of holiday decorations. Try these additional ideas:
- Layer a glass vase with fresh pears in a variety of colors-green, red, yellow and brown. Fill the vase 2/3 full with water. Gently tuck tall branches or flowers between pears for a showstopping, economical centerpiece.
- Use pears to create inexpensive, homemade gift baskets or bags to give to friends, neighbors, teachers and co-workers.
- Once you take down your pear decor, the fruit can be transformed into a simple, elegant dessert such as poached pears. Or you might try this appetizer recipe. It's easy to prepare and impressive to serve at a party:
Prep time: 10 minutes - Cooking time: 4 minutes
- 2 USA Pears
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 24 baguette rounds, toasted
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, spreadable
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered, toasted
- Black pepper, ground, if desired
Slice pears stemside up into 12 quarter-inch wide vertical planks. Cut large slices in half lengthwise for a total of 48 slices.
Heat vinegar, butter and honey in large frying pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constant, until reduced by half, about 2 tablespoons. Add pear slices and continue cooking for 1 minute, turning once.
Place 2 pear slices on each baguette round and top with 1 teaspoon goat cheese. Sprinkle almonds over cheese and garnish with fresh pepper, if desired.
For more decorating tips and recipes, visit www.usapears.org.
Serving Size: Makes 24 Pieces