Contributed by: NAPSA
Beat The Heat With Fun And Refreshing Summer Beverages
(NAPSA) - Longer days and warmer weather welcome a never-ending list of summer fun. And what better way to enjoy the sunny days than with summer slushies, smoothies and sparkling beverages!
These tasty treats not only help families beat the heat, but they are an excellent source of hydration during the sweltering days of summer. As the days get longer and temperatures rise, let cool and fruity refreshers be your passport to summer fun.
Following are some ideas for staying cool and hydrated this summer:
- Chill out with "fruitsicles." Pour 100 percent fruit juice and frozen berries or fresh fruit into small paper cups, cover with foil, insert a wooden craft stick and freeze. The result? A delicious juicy pop kids will love.
- Accessorize with a fruity flair. Encourage kids to make healthier beverage choices by adding a creative splash to drinks. Use colorful cups (with silly straws, of course!) topped with a wedge of fresh fruit-a fun way for kids to fuel up fast.
- Refresh your freezer. Keep frosty beverages on hand that will quench kids' thirst, such as fruit slushies or tropical smoothies. Blend frozen or fresh fruits with all-natural fruit juice, pour in a freezer-friendly container and freeze for enjoyment anytime.
- Mix and mingle with drinks for all ages. Add kid-friendly twists to adultlike beverages with this refreshing recipe for Sparkling "Sangria." Featuring frozen orange slices with apple or white grape pure fruit juice and seltzer water, the best part of this flavorful drink is its surprisingly fruity twist. With fresh grapes frozen inside each ice cube, this simple recipe provides a delightful dose of nutritious fruits.
- 1 orange, washed, halved and cut into thin slices (remove any seeds)
- 2/3 cup red and/or green grapes, rinsed and cut in half
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves or sprigs, rinsed
- Purified water
- 3 cups Apple or White Grape Nestle(r) Juicy Juice(r) All Natural 100% Juice, chilled
- 4 to 5 cups calorie-free seltzer water, chilled
PLACE orange slices on baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
DIVIDE grape halves and mint leaves or sprigs between two ice cube trays. Fill each tray with purified water and freeze until solid.
POUR Juicy Juice into pitcher; add frozen orange slices, prepared ice cubes and seltzer water. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Omit ice cubes for children under age 4 due to choking risk.
For more refreshing, interactive and family-fun recipe ideas, visit VeryBestKids.com.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings