Curried Cauliflower and Mushrooms
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Serve as part of an Indian meal or as accompaniment to roast lamb or chicken. To serve as a light vegetarian meal, add cooked chickpeas and serve on brown or basmati rice.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes - Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 mL
- 1/2 cup diced onion 125 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 1 tsp curry powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp grated fresh gingerroot 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp EACH ground cumin and coriander 2 mL
- 1/8 hot red pepper flakes (optional) 0.5 mL
- 8 oz whole fresh Mushrooms, halved 250 g
- 2-1/2 cups cauliflower florets 625 mL
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth 125 mL
- 1 plum tomato, diced 1
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro 125 mL
In large skillet heat oil over medium heat, cook and stir onion for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, curry powder, gingerroot, cumin, coriander and red pepper flakes; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Increase heat to medium high and add mushrooms; cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes and then stir in cauliflower, and broth. Cover and lower heat to medium low; cook for 3-5 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove lid and cook until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in tomato and cilantro.
If mushrooms are extra large cut into quarters instead of halves.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings