Portabella Florentine Caps
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Super for a relaxed Father's Day weekend breakfast. For variety, choose a different sauce each time you make it.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes - Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 4 tsp each olive oil and balsamic vinegar 20 mL
- 4 large fresh portabella mushroom caps 4
- 4 poached eggs 4
- 1 1/2 tbsp Each butter and flour 22 mL
- 1 1/4 cups 2 % milk 300 mL
- 1 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese 250 mL
- 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper, divided 3 mL
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional) 1 mL
- 8 oz fresh spinach leaves, washed* 250 g
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 25 mL
In a small bowl mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar; brush both sides of portabellas with mixture and place in a baking pan. Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until softened. Remove from oven and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile in medium saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and cook stirring constantly 1-2 minutes or until bubbling. Whisk in milk and bring to boil, whisking constantly until thickened; lower heat and stir in cheese, cook for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper and nutmeg. Keep warm on low heat.
Cook spinach in covered microwave bowl, on High about 3-4 minutes; drain well. Stir in lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each salt and pepper.
To assemble place mushroom caps (gill side up) on warm serving plates; fill the caps with spinach; top spinach with poached egg and spoon cheese sauce over all.
*Substitute 1 cup (250 mL) packed, well drained, cooked spinach.
- Substitute Hollandaise sauce for cheese sauce (make an easy one from a 26g pkg mix).
- Substitute half Gruyere and half Parmesan or substitute Monterey Jack cheese with hot peppers for Cheddar.
- Omit cheese and add 2 tbsp (25 mL) concentrated tomato paste or Dijon or grainy mustard.
- Omit cheese and add about 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder.
Poach eggs while mushrooms are baking or pre cook eggs a few hrs or a day ahead and with slotted spoon remove cooked eggs to cold water; refrigerate until needed. Then remove with slotted spoon and place in hot water to reheat.
More delicious recipe ideas are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings