Sweet Summer Vanilla & Rhubarb Torte
Contributed by: News Canada
I Dream Of Ice Cream
(NC) - After a long, cold winter, everyone is ready to eagerly embrace the balmy summer weather - and all the fresh, flavourful Canadian produce it yields. To kick off the season and early Canadian rhubarb crop, serve this torte recipe at your first barbecue of the summer.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ground gingersnaps (about 10 cookies)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) melted butter
- 4 cups (1 L) Nestle Real Dairy Natural Vanilla Ice Cream (50% Less Fat Natural Vanilla can be substituted)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) orange juice concentrate
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped rhubarb
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped candied ginger
Mix gingersnap crumbs, pecans and melted butter until well blended. Press mixture into bottom and sides (about 1 1/2-inches high) of a 9-inch spring form pan. Freeze for 20 minutes.
Scoop ice cream into crust; cover loosely with plastic wrap, pressing gently to smooth ice cream. Keep covered and freeze until solid (4 hours-up to 3 days).
Combine sugar and orange juice concentrate in saucepan, stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Stir in rhubarb; reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender (about 15 to 20 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in candied ginger. Let cool.
Remove torte from pan; transfer to cake plate. Pour cooled rhubarb mixture over frozen tart.
Nestle Real Dairy ice cream is now available in a new tub that is recyclable and reusable. Look for the FreshSNAP seal that locks in freshness from your first scoop to your last.
Serving Size: Makes 8 - 10 Servings