Rum Runner Ribs
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Sweet, saucy and delicious, these BBQ ribs will be a hit with the whole family. Just looking at them will make your mouth water!
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canned, crushed pineapple with juices
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) HP Sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each finely chopped green onion and dark rum
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each lime zest and minced ginger
- pinch ground allspice
- 4 lb (2 kg) parboiled pork back ribs
Stir Heinz Chili Sauce with Heinz Tomato Ketchup, pineapple, HP Sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a boil in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the green onion, rum, lime zest, ginger and allspice until well combined. Cool slightly.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Toss ribs with half of the sauce mixture; grill, turning and basting often with remaining sauce, for 10 to 15 minutes or until glossy and well marked. Makes 8 servings.
For a leaner variation, use this tasty glaze on grilled chicken breasts or pork tenderloin instead of ribs.
For perfectly boiled ribs, cut each rack into 2-bone portions. Place a large pot with 1 sliced lime and enough equal parts of each water and chicken broth to cover ribs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Discard lime slices. Cool ribs in cooking broth for 1 hour. Drain well. Grill as directed or wrap tightly and reserve for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.