Creole Grilled Rice Pilaf With Spicy Steak
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - When it's too hot to cook inside, keep the house cool by preparing your entire meal on the grill. Serve with a leafy green salad for a delicious summer supper.
- 1-1/2 lb trimmed, 1-inch (5 cm) thick, top sirloin steaks (about 2 steaks) 750 g
- 1/4 cup honey mustard 50 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 1 tbsp dried oregano 15 mL
- 1 tsp each paprika, salt and pepper 5 mL
- 4 tsp hot pepper sauce (to taste) 20 mL
- 3 tbsp canola oil (divided) 45 mL
- 1 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and celery 250 mL
- 1 cup U.S. long grain white rice 250 mL
- 1 1/2 cups each chicken broth and seeded, diced tomato 375 mL
- 1/2 cup white wine 125 mL
- 2 bay leaves 2
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion 125 mL
- 2 tbsp finely chopped 30 mL
- green olives (optional)
- Lemon wedges
Place steaks on a plate. In a small bowl, blend honey mustard with garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Divide mustard mixture in half. Stir the hot pepper sauce and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil into one portion; rub evenly over the steak. Reserve steak at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Turn one burner on the grill to medium-high, one to medium setting. Place a foil lasagna pan over the medium burner. Add remaining oil, onion, green pepper and celery to the foil pan. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add rice and remaining mustard mixture; stir to coat each grain of rice.
Stir in chicken broth, tomato, white wine and bay leaves. Cover pan with a baking sheet (to act as a lid). Close BBQ lid and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onion and olives (if using). Discard bay leaves. Fluff rice with a fork and season with additional hot sauce to taste.
Meanwhile, grill steak over the medium-high burner for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until cooked to preferred doneness. Rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak thinly across the grain. Arrange the steak decoratively over the rice. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings