BBQ Bag Biryiani
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A flavourful complement to grilled chicken, pork or seafood, this recipe will make you wonder why you've never cooked rice on the grill before.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth 500 mL
- 1 cup U.S. long grain white rice 250mL
- 1 cup each chopped onion and tomato 250 mL
- 1/2 cup golden raisins 125 mL
- 1/2 cup 35% whipping cream 125 mL
- 3 tbsp cubed butter, cold 45 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 4 tsp mild Indian curry paste 20 mL
- 1 tbsp minced ginger 15 mL
- 2 tsp turmeric 10 mL
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and cinnamon 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp each ground cardamom, salt and pepper 2 mL
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional) 50 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional) 30 mL
Preheat grill to medium. In a medium sized bowl, stir broth with rice, onion, tomato, raisins, cream, butter, garlic, curry paste, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and pepper until well combined. Place a grill bag on a baking sheet. Spoon mixture into grill bag. Crimp the open end securely closed. Smooth to distribute the ingredients evenly. Slide bag off the baking sheet onto the barbeque grate.
Cook, lid down, for 10 minutes. Carefully flip the grill bag over; continue to grill, lid closed, for an additional 10 minutes. Slide grill bag back onto the baking sheet; let rest for 5 minutes.
Wearing oven mitts, carefully cut open grill bag. Spoon rice onto a serving platter. Garnish with walnuts and cilantro.
Source: www.riceinfo.com .
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings