Blackberry Cabernet Marinated Steaks
Contributed by: NAPSA
Add A Taste Of Australia To Your Grilling
(NAPSA) - Have you ever added a splash of wine that you were drinking to a marinade? If so, you are grilling outdoors just the way they do in Australia. Here are some tips from sixth-generation Australian winemaker, Scott McWilliam:
- First, remember the key to great grilling is sustained heat.
- Next, use the same wine you drink in your recipes and marinade. It's the perfect match that will enhance the flavor and intensity of the recipe while eliminating concerns about wine pairings.
Creating a savory summer marinade may be easier than ever this year. "The intense weather conditions in Australia this past year will bring a difference in flavors from the previous year's harvest," said McWilliam, of McWilliam's Wines, the most awarded winery in Australia. He added, "There will be big, bold red wines coming from our Southern Australia wineries, while out in Western Australia the harvest is such that wineries there will be producing exceptionally elegant and savory white wines."
Scott is always looking to bring together great food to complement his award-winning wine and he suggests adding a taste of Australia to your meal today. Try one of Scott's favorite recipes and bring an Australian feel to your next barbecue as well as your glass:
Prep time: 15 minutes; Marinate time: Several hours to 2 days; Cook time: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup McWilliam's Hanwood Estate(r) Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, crushed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 grilling steaks such as New York, rib-eye or tenderloin
- Chopped fresh basil (optional garnish)
Stir together wine, blackberries, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Remove 1/2 cup marinade and set aside.
Place steaks in bag; seal and refrigerate steaks and reserved marinade for several hours or up to 2 days. Remove steaks from marinade and discard contents of bag.
Grill steaks over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from grill; spoon reserved marinade over top and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Pair with the same Cabernet Sauvignon used in the marinade.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings