Sausage and Sweet Potato Frittata
Contributed by: News Canada
- 2 small sweet potatoes (3/4 lb/375 g total), well scrubbed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 turkey sausages, casings removed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ocean Spray Craisins Sweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and crumbled dried sage leaves
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach leaves
- 4 each whole eggs and egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) 1% milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Gruyere or white Cheddar cheese
Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork; microwave on Medium-High for 4 minutes or until just fork tender. Cool completely. Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes; reserve.
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Heat the oil in a 12-inch (30 cm) oven-proof skillet set over medium heat. Crumble in the sausage meat; add the Craisins, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned and onion is golden. Stir in the sweet potato and spinach; cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Spread evenly into a 12-inch (35 cm) baking dish.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and egg whites with the milk and mustard. Pour evenly over the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
For more recipes and tips on healthy living, visit www.oceanspray.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories: 233, Protein: 14 g, Total Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 120 g, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Fibre: 3 g, Sodium: 420 mg, Potassium: 412 mg .