Classic Basil Pesto
Contributed by: News Canada
You can make pestos in a snap
(NC) - If you're looking for versatile sauces that add great flavour to everyday cooking, look no further than these sensational pestos from Bertolli (www.homebasics.ca). The goodness of Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the season's freshest ingredients can make any weekday meal sensational. Not sure how to introduce pestos into your favourite family meals?
Here are five great uses for pesto:
- Dollop a spoonful on your soup.
- Top mushrooms with goat cheese and pesto and broil.
- Tuck pesto under the skin of chicken breasts before cooking.
- Toss pesto with freshly cooking pasta or grilled vegetables.
- Rub onto pizza crusts for a hidden hit of flavour.
To introduce you to the simple art of pesto making, try this deliciously simple recipe for Classic Basil Pesto:
- 1/2 cup Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a small skillet set over medium-low heat, toss the pine nuts with about 1 tbsp of olive oil - stirring constantly just until they begin to turn golden - about 5 minutes. Be very careful not to let the pine nuts burn.
Transfer the toasted pine nuts to the container of a food processor or blender and add the remaining olive oil, basil leaves, garlic, and salt. Blend until almost (but not entirely) smooth, scraping down the sides of the container once or twice so that it blends evenly.
Add the Parmesan cheese and process just to mix.
Serving Size: Makes about 1 cup enough for 4 Pasta Servings