Holiday Roaster with Orange Cranberry And Wild Rice Dressing
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Wild rice stuffing with cranberries and orange gives a new twist to an old family favourite.
- 1 (about 5 lbs/2.2 kg) Maple Lodge Farms Holiday Roaster
- melted butter
- 1/2 cup/125 mL wild rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk clery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp/45 mL butter
- 1/2 cup/125 mL long grain rice
- 1 tbsp/15 mL each chopped fresh sage and thyme
- 2 tsp/10 mL grated orange zest
- 11/2 cup/375 mL chicken stock
- 1/2 cup/125 mL orange juice
- 1/2 cup/125 mL dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup/ 50 mL toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup/50 mL chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
Rinse wild rice under cold running water; drain and set aside.
In saucepan, cook onion, celery and garlic in butter until softened. Stir in both rices, herbs,
zest, stock and juice; bring to broil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 35 minutes. Stir in cranberries
and simmer covered 10 to 15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Add pine nuts, parsley, salt
and pepper; toss to mix.
Let cool completely before stuffing bird.
Just before roasting, prepare chicken for stuffing. Rub with salt and pepper. Loosely pack
stuffing into body cavity. Secure with small skewers or toothpicks. Place on rack in shallow
Brush with melted butter.
Roast at 400 F (200 C) for about 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 175 F (85 C)
inserted in thickest part of thigh. Remove chicken to a platter and let stand covered for 10 to 15
minutes before carving.
Serving Size: Makes 4 to 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 600 calories, 45g protein, 31g fat, 35g carbohydrate, 3g dietary fibre