Saucy Chicken Apple Saute
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This simple family supper is perfect for mid-week - it has few ingredients to prepare, pulls together quickly and offers a warming, nutritious meal even kids will love. Prepare steamed rice on the side while the chicken cooks.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 2 tbsp minced ginger 25 mL
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 500g
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper 2 mL
- 1 tbsp chili oil 15 mL
- 1 onion, sliced 1
- 2 celery stalks, sliced 2
- 2 Ontario Apples*, cored and cut into wedges 2
- 1 cup chicken broth 250 mL
- 2 tbsp rice or cider vinegar 25 mL
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 15 mL
- 2 tsp corn starch 10 mL
In large heavy-bottomed skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant but not browned. Stir in chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and transfer to plate.
In same skillet, add chili oil. Cook onion and celery over high heat, stirring constantly, until onion is golden and softened, about 3 minutes. Add in apples, broth, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring just to boil; stir in chicken and cook 2 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk together corn starch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Stir into sauce and let thicken slightly. Serve immediately over steamed rice.
*Variety tip: For best results use Ontario Empire, Crispin, Cortland or Idared apples.
More information and recipes are available online at www.onapples.com.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings