Mushroom Rice Florentine
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This easy to fix vegetable side dish is a great accompaniment to grilled or roasted meats. Add an extra cup of Cheddar cheese if serving as a vegetarian meal.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 mL
- 8 oz sliced fresh Mushrooms 250 g
- 1 large onion, chopped 1
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1
- 3/4 cup long grain rice 175 mL
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes, broken up 1
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth 375 mL
- 1/2 tsp Each salt and pepper 2 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil 7 mL
- 1 pkg (300g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained 1
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 250 mL
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat, saute mushrooms and onion about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic, rice, tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach, cover and cook 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in cheddar cheese; serve sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Side Servings or 4 Main Course Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories: 188; Protein : 7.6 g; Fat: 8.5 g; Carbohydrates: 21.1 g; Dietary Fibre: 2.3 g