Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Shrimp
Contributed by: Judith Finlayson of The Healthy Slow Cooker
A winning combination of healthy eating and convenience.
Here's an ideal combination: a tasty meal, nutrition for good health, and the convenience of a slow cooker. The Healthy Slow Cooker offers more than 100 delicious, nourishing recipes that are healthy and contain key nutritional, health and wellness information. Along with a complete nutrient analysis, each recipe will feature:
An icon denotes vegan friendly recipes:
- "Mindful morsels" that highlight particular nutritional elements
- "Natural Wonders" that provide an a overview of a dish's healthful benefits
For example, Indian-Style Chicken with Puréed Spinach provides 400% of the daily requirement of Vitamin K, and cumin in the recipe improves digestion. Here's a small sampling of the tantalizing array of recipes:
- Creamy Polenta with Corn and Chilies
- Moroccan-Style Lamb with Apricots and Raisins
- Ribs 'n' Greens with Wheatberries
- Winter Vegetable Casserole
- Cranberry Pear Brown Betty
- Indian Banana Pudding
For diabetics, the book features a separate section of useful advice and nutrition guidelines.
I love the combination of sweet and spicy flavors in this luscious dish. Serve this over brown basmati rice and add a platter of steamed spinach sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds to complete the meal.
Works in slow cookers from 3 1/2 to 6 quarts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive or extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Thai green curry paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut milk
- 1 lb (500 g) cooked peeled shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup (l50 mL) toasted slivered almonds, optional
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped cilantro leaves
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and gingerroot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
Add sweet potatoes and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until sweet potatoes are tender.
In a small bowl, combine curry paste and lime juice. Add to slow cooker stoneware and stir well. Stir in coconut milk and shrimp. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until shrimp are hot. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with almonds, if using, and cilantro and serve.
If you are adding the almond garnish, try to find slivered almonds with the skin on. They add color and nutrients to the dish.
About the Author
Judith Finlayson is a Toronto based food writer, journalist and author with a life-long love of cooking. Her slow cooker books have sold more than 500,000 copies. Among her many books are The Complete Whole Grains Cookbook: 150 Recipes for Healthy Living; The Best Diabetes Slow Cooker Recipes; 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics; 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes; and The Convenience Cook.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings