Mid-Eastern Mushroom and Chick Pea Couscous
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A nutritious and low fat meatless main dish, it has the exciting flavours of Morocco to spice up a cold winter day.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes - Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth 425 mL
- 1/2 tsp Each ground cumin and ground coriander 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional) 2 mL
- 1 tbsp grated fresh gingerroot 15 mL
- 2 clove garlic, minced 2
- 12 oz sliced fresh Mushrooms 375 g
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots 375 mL
- 1 onion, chopped 1
- 1 cup instant whole wheat couscous 250 mL
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped 1
- 1 can (19oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1
- 1/2 cup raisins 125 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or fresh coriander 50 mL
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional) 75 mL
In large saucepan combine broth, cumin, coriander, hot pepper flakes, gingerroot and garlic; bring to boil. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion and cook covered over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
Meanwhile place couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1cup (250 mL) boiling water over it; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Add red pepper, chickpeas and raisins to the mushroom mixture; continue to cook 2-3 minutes or until hot. Taste and add 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper if desired. Stir in parsley.
Fluff couscous with a fork and spoon into individual serving dishes; top with vegetable mixture including broth. Garnish with pine nuts if desired.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings