Thai-Style Mushroom Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Inspired from the kitchens of rural Thailand, this soup is quick and easy to make. The subtle flavours blend with coconut milk to make a great start to your dinner or it can be served on it's own as a light lunch.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes - Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 30 mL
- 1 lb fresh sliced white and crimini Mushrooms 500 g
- 1/2 cup Each diced onion, celery and carrot 125 mL
- 3 cups vegetable broth 750 mL
- 1 can (398 mL) lite coconut milk 1
- 1/3 cup diced red pepper 75 mL
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh gingerroot 10 mL
- 1 tsp Each dried basil and cumin 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes 0.5-1 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) 50 mL
- 2 tbsp sliced green onion 30 mL
In large deep non-stick saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Saute mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot 3-5 minutes. Add vegetable broth; bring to boil and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Add coconut milk, red pepper, gingerroot, basil, cumin, salt and hot red pepper flakes; return to boil, simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with green onion.
Variation: Add 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil just before serving
Recipe Adapted from Fleming Colleges' entry into the Make it with Mushrooms Student Chef Challenge Fall 2007. Recipe received second place.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Appetizer or 4 Main Course Servings