Crunchy Cranberry-Almond Snack
Contributed by: NAPSA
10 Ways To Snack With Cereal
by Mindy Hermann, R.D.
(NAPSA) - A number of nutrition experts recommend eating every 2 or 3 hours for a constant supply of energy and to avoid overeating. My favorite snack is cereal because it satisfies my craving for something slightly sweet and crunchy. And wholesome options like Total(r) offer vital nutrients for my body and mind. Here are 10 ways to enjoy cereal beyond the breakfast bowl:
- Pour one serving into a cup and enjoy it plain or mix it with plain popped popcorn and a tablespoon of mini-chocolate chips.
- Top plain or fruit yogurt with cereal and a drizzle of honey.
- Mix cereal with raisins, chopped dried apricots and nuts.
- Stir cereal into light ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Spread banana or apple slices with peanut butter and roll in crushed cereal.
- Spread celery slices with a small dab of peanut butter or whipped cream cheese; sprinkle crushed cereal over top.
- Mix together three or four different cereals for an all-cereal trail mix.
- Top minimuffin or banana bread batter with crushed cereal before baking.
- Top fruit salad with cereal and chopped nuts.
- Stir up a batch of delicious Crunchy Cranberry-Almond Snack mix, courtesy of the Betty Crocker Kitchens.
Mindy Hermann, M.B.A., R.D., is a nutrition writer for women's, health and fitness magazines. She is the co-author of "Change One" and the American Medical Association's "Family Health Cookbook."
Prep Time: 10 Minutes - Start to Finish: 45 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups Total(r) Cranberry Crunch cereal
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
Heat oven to 300 F. Spray 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking spray.
In large bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended. Spread evenly in pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through bake time, until almonds are lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
Tip from BC Kitchens: This crunchy snack is great on the go or sprinkled on top of yogurt for a crunchy, nutty snack.
Serving Size: Makes 6 2/3 Cup Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 100mg; Potassium 210mg; Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 4g; % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 35%; Iron 40%; Vitamin D 4%; Folic Acid 35%