Hearty Vegetable Egg Pasta Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A zesty salad that's a meal in itself with wholesome egg and pasta power.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 head lettuce, shredded
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/2 Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber, diced
- 1 cup bite-size cubes Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen), cooked
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
In large amount of boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and toss
with oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine chili sauce, mayonnaise, onion, sugar and Worcestershire in small
Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
In large bowl, lightly combine pasta, lettuce, onion, cucumber, cheese and peas. Arrange on a
large serving platter.
Make tomato 'flowers' by standing tomatoes on stem end and slicing each into 4 wedges
without cutting through the stem. (The sections will pull apart like the petals of a flower.) Place
tomato 'flowers' down the centre of salad platter and spoon equal amounts of chopped egg into
(Salad can be prepared ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours.) To serve,
pour dressing into tomato 'flowers' and over the mixed salad.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings