Baked Asiago Frittata
Contributed by: NAPSA
How To Create A Nutritious Start To Your Day
(NAPSA) - The best way to jump-start your plan of eating healthier meals is with a nutritious, satisfying breakfast rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
Registered Dietitian Cheryl Dolven says that people sometimes overlook protein in their quest for a healthy breakfast.
"Protein is important at breakfast because it's digested at a slower rate than carbohydrates, which may help keep blood sugar levels steady and keep you satisfied longer," commented Dolven. "It is a smart idea to add a source of protein to your breakfast. I like Morningstar Farms(r) Veggie Sausage Patties because they are low in saturated fat and are cholesterol free."
Here are a few of Dolven's tips for a delicious and convenient breakfast, including protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables:
- Add chopped or dried fruit to cereal or low-fat yogurt.
- Add sauted onions and red or green pepper to eggs and roll in a whole-wheat tortilla. Top with salsa.
- Top a whole-wheat waffle with peanut butter and sliced bananas.
- Mix it up with a creative recipe such as a mouthwatering Baked Asiago Frittata.
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Morningstar Farms(r) Veggie Sausage Patties
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves or dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) finely shredded Asiago cheese or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
In 10-inch, oven-safe, nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray, cook and stir broccoli, onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
Stir patties, basil, salt and pepper into vegetable mixture. Pour eggs over top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 15 to 19 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato. Cut into wedges.
You can substitute finely shredded Parmesan for Asiago. For a lower-fat version, substitute 2 cups egg substitute for the 8 eggs.
Visit www.seeveggiesdiffer ently.com for more information and recipes.
Prep time: 10 minutes; total time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings