1-Dish Mix & Bake Chili Cornbread
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Like a Slice of Spongy, Moist Cornbread Dunked into a Bowl of Perfectly-Spiced Piping Hot Chili. Short on prep time, short on clean-up time, but long on flavor.
Prep Time: 20 min. - Bake Time: 30 min.
- Mazola Simplicity canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's Quick-Rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm milk (120 to 130 F/50 - 55 C)
- 3 tablespoons Mazola corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned, drained
- Chili Filling
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup diced onion, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 package Chili seasoning mix
- 1 can (500g) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (250mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (120g) shredded Mexican style cheese
MIX corn bread batter ingredients together in a pre-sprayed 8 X 8-inch/20x20cm baking dish. Add remaining chili mixture ingredients to browned hamburger in a large skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, until mixture simmers.
TOP batter evenly with chili filling. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
BAKE by placing in a COLD oven; set temperature to 350 F/180 C. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
If desired, batter may be mixed in a separate bowl. Proceed as directed above.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings