Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Contributed by: News Canada
Shrimp 'tales' for your seafood schooling
By Jane Stokes
(NC) - Shrimp - and salmon - share the top spot for being the most popular seafood ordered in North American restaurants. In fact, shrimp has replaced canned tuna as the public's favourite seafood over all.
"Every year, more than 5 billion pounds of shrimp are produced worldwide," says Laura Troyani at BlueWater Seafoods, "and in North America we do eat our fair share - approximately 1 billion pounds of it."
Shrimp is a universal taste treat, but here, courtesy of BlueWater, are some additional shrimp tales you may not already know:
- 1 tail, 10 legs.
- 1 head, at least half the size of its body.
- Called "green" when raw.
- India fries it. Vietnam carmelizes it. Korea makes shrimp pancakes. China makes salt shrimp, and Malaysia cooks up the best shrimp curry.
- In restaurants, we get to eat the seafood cuisine of many different countries - and now gourmet-style shrimp dishes can be served at home too. For example, the quick-serve format of the Shrimp Temptations line eliminates all the work, with no thawing required. Put the pieces of shrimp in a skillet and as they cook, the sauce melts, creating a perfect balance of shrimp to sauce. This line is low in calories with no trans fat.
- Bubba Blue said it best to Forest Gump: "Forest... like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it... there's shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo... pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's about it..."
Preparation time: 15 minutes - Total time: 25 minutes
- 1-12 ounce package Shrimp Temptations
- 1 14 ounce ready-made pizza crust
- 1 cup veggies of choice (onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven according to pizza crust packaging.
Cook temptations according to package. Top pizza crust with shrimp and sauce. Place veggies over shrimp and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake as recommended on pizza crust package.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Slices