Hot and Sour Mushroom Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - If you have been enjoying Tom Yum Het soup in your favorite Thai restaurant why not try it at home - it is so fast and easy. You can omit the noodles and serve it over cooked rice in bowls or add diced cooked chicken, shrimp or tofu.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes - Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth 500 mL
- 8 oz sliced fresh Mushrooms (white, oyster, or crimini) 250 g
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lime rind 2 mL
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice 45 mL
- 2 tbsp fish sauce 25 mL
- 1/2 tsp Asian chili paste 2 mL
- 1 oz rice vermicelli noodles, broken in pieces (about 1cup/500 mL) 30 g
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced 2
In medium saucepan bring broth to boil, add mushrooms, lime rind and juice, fish sauce and Asian chili paste.
Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in rice noodles and bring to boil for 1- 3 minutes or according to package directions.
Serve in bowls garnished with green onions.
Omit noodles and spoon over cooked jasmine rice in bowls. For a main course add diced cooked chicken, medium tofu or small shrimp with noodles.
Serving Size: Makes 2 Servings