Cheddar, Avocado and Tomato Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
Add a little intrigue to your dinner salad
(NC) - Sure a simple vinaigrette enjoyed over crisp greens is nice. But winter salads demand some savoury indulgence heaped on them every once in a while. Here's just one way to add a whole lot of "wow" to your next salad courtesy of the olive oil experts at Bertolli (www.homebasics.ca).
- 1/4 cup shallot vinegar (50 mL)1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 whole garlic bulb, roasted, cooled and squeezed to extract the bulbs (1)
- 1/4 cup each toasted pine nuts, grated Parmesan, minced basil leaves (50 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1 mL)
- 1 cup Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil (250 mL)
- 2 large handfuls mixed salad greens (2)
- 3/4 cup shredded, aged Cheddar cheese (175 mL)
- 2 avocadoes, peeled, cored, cut in to wedges (2)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges (2)
Place all ingredients in a medium glass jar with a tight-fighting lid. Shake well and serve. Refrigerate leftover dressing. Makes 1 1/2 cups (375 mL).
Divide greens among four salad plates. Top with cheese, avocados and tomatoes. Drizzle with Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Dressing to taste.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings