Easy Mushroom Ravioli with Four Cheese Sauce
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A quick filling that bursts with flavour is enclosed in prepared won ton skins instead off pasta making this a lighter version of ravioli. For further convenience make and freeze them ahead of time and purchase a prepared sauce.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes - Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tbsp butter 45 mL
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1
- 1 lb fresh Mushrooms, finely chopped 500 g
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced 2
- 2 tbsp lite soya or tamari sauce 25 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme 2 mL
- 1 pkg. won ton wrappers (400g/ 13.5 ) 1
- 1 1/2 tbsp Each butter and flour 22 mL
- 1 3/4 cups 2 % milk 425 mL
- 1 cup shredded Italian 4 cheese blend 250 mL
- 1/4 tsp Each salt and pepper 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional) 1 mL
- diced red pepper
- chopped chives or
- sliced green onion tops or
- minced parsley (optional)
In large skillet melt butter over medium heat; saute onion for 1-2 minutes just to soften. Add mushrooms saute 4-5 minutes or until liquid is released; reduce heat to low and add garlic, soya sauce, pepper and thyme. Continue to cook, stirring often until a thick paste is formed, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
To assemble ravioli work in batches, place a few won ton skins on work surface (keeping other ones covered so as not to dry out); place a heaping tablespoon of filling in centre of each. Brush water around the outside edges of each wrapper; top with a second wrapper. Press out air and edges to seal. Place on a damp towel- lined baking sheet and cover with damp towel while making remaining ravioli. Refrigerate or freeze as directed below until cooking time.
In medium saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and cook stirring constantly 1-2 minutes or until bubbling. Whisk in milk and bring to boil, whisking constantly until thickened; lower heat and stir in cheese, cook for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve or reheat in microwave on Medium power.
In large wide saucepan or deep skillet of gently boiling water cook a few ravioli in batches (in single layers), about 4 minutes or until tender but firm. (Do not let water boil vigorously once ravioli have been added.) Remove with slotted spoon to shallow baking pans, in single layers; add about 1/2 inch cooking water to keep warm, in oven while cooking remaining ravioli. Transfer with slotted spoon, draining off excess water to warm serving plates. Spoon sauce evenly over ravioli, garnish as desired.
- Add 2-4 tbsp crumbled Gorgonzola cheese with other cheese to sauce.
- Substitute 300 mL pkg. four cheese pasta sauce for the homemade one above and add milk to desired consistency.
- Drizzle sauce with truffle oil or substitute 1/4 cup (50 mL) sherry for 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk in the sauce
To make ahead, freeze ravioli in single layers on parchment lined baking sheets. When frozen transfer to resealable freezer bag. Cook from frozen state increasing the time to 8-10 minutes or until tender.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings