Chicken Chili Mole
Contributed by: NAPSA
Ole! For Chicken Chili Mole
(NAPSA) - Chilly evenings suggest more robust, comforting foods that include soups, stews, casseroles and chilis.
While it's often a challenge to find time to prepare these wholesome dishes from scratch, this super simple chili makes the most of a unique combination of readily available ingredients.
Mellow, nutty Jarlsberg cheese provides creamy texture with great flavor impact, blending beautifully with dark beer and chocolate to create a rich, dense, delicious mole sauce. It will quickly become a family favorite for supper or casual gatherings. Serve with rice and beans plus a side of corn bread, using mixes to further shortcut kitchen duty time.
Use half the seasoning packet found in prepackaged rice and bean mixes to significantly reduce sodium content, not flavor. For a festive corn bread, gently stir in 1/4 cup of diced red or green peppers and corn before baking.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, oregano (or 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon minced Anaheim or jalapeno pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dark beer (or use regular beer or 1 cup broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
Heat olive oil in deep, large skillet and cook onion with garlic, thyme, oregano and cayenne (or minced pepper) until onion is just browning. Set aside onion.
Add chicken to skillet and saute until no longer pink; return onion and add broth, beer and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and season with cinnamon (or allspice) and salt.
Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese and grated chocolate until melted. Serve immediately over rice and beans. Pass remaining cheese. Serve with corn bread or, if preferred, warmed tortillas or flat-bread.
Note: Chili can be cooked ahead of time and stored overnight in refrigerator.
This super simple chili makes the most of a delicious combination of readily available ingredients. Serve it up when friends gather.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings