Mocha Shortbread Cookies
Contributed by: News Canada
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose (560 mL) flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda (125 mL) No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (60 mL)
- 1/4 tsp fine salt (1 mL)
- 1/4 cup hot water (60 mL)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (15 mL) powder
- 4 tsp pure vanilla (20 mL) extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter (250 mL) at room temperature
Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granular for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Sift flour, Splenda, cocoa powder and salt and set aside. Combine hot water, instant coffee and vanilla and set aside. Cream butter until smooth and stir in half of the dry mixture. Add coffee mixture and stir in. Add remaining dry mixture and combine until dough is evenly blended. Turn dough onto a work surface and divide in two. Shape into logs, wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
Unwrap dough and slice into cookies about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick and place on baking tray. Sprinkle each cookie in the centre with a pinch of Splenda and bake for 18 minutes. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
Serving Size: Makes 30 Cookies
Nutritional Information: Per Cookie: Total Calories: 90; Calories from Fat: 60; Total Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 20 mg; Total Carbohydrates: 8 g; Fibre : 0 g; Sugars: 0 g; Protein: 1 g