Carrot & Cumin Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
Vegetable goodness with a hint of the southwest
(NC) - Serve up a bowl of power-packed beta carotene in this savoury, carrot and cumin soup. Perfect for lunch or served in chic soup tureens at parties. Many more healthy and delicious soup recipes are available online at www.knorr.ca and www.homebasics.ca.
- 1 tbsp Bertolli Olive Oil (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp Imperial margarine (15 mL)
- 6 cups peeled and chopped carrots (1.5 L)
- 3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only cleaned and chopped ), (3)
- 2 cloves minced garlic (2)
- 4 tsp ground cumin (20 mL)
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes (5 mL)
- 1 carton Knorr Chicken Broth (900 mL)
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt juice of 1 fresh lime (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (50 mL)
- 1 tbsp grated lime zest (15 mL)
Heat oil and butter together in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and leeks and saute until leeks begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add cumin and crushed red pepper. Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Soup can be transferred to a large bowl and kept covered in cling wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or frozen for future use. Just before serving, stir in lime juice, drizzle with yogurt and garnish with lime zest and cilantro. If soup is too thick, use additional Knorr Chicken Broth to thin to desired consistency.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings