Savoury Dressing For Roast Turkey
Contributed by: News Canada
A festive holiday classic recipe
(NC) - The best dressing is made with bread one or two days old. Stuff turkey (or chicken) just before you roast it. This recipe makes enough to stuff a 6-lb (3 kg) chicken; double the recipe for a 12-lb (6 kg) turkey.
- 6 slices bread (180 g), crusts included *
- 2 tbsp soft margarine or butter (25 mL)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery and onion (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (50 mL)
- 1 tsp dried tarragon (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (2 mL)
- Pinch ground nutmeg and freshly ground pepper
Prepare bread crumbs in food processor or by hand. In non-stick skillet, melt margarine over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms, celery, onion and parsley for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Cool. Stir in tarragon, paprika, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir into bread crumbs.
Prep: 20 minutes - Cook: 5 minutes for vegetables
* If you have bread crumbs in the freezer, approximately 4 cups (1 L) fresh crumbs is the equivalent of 6 slices of bread.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 2/3 cup (150 mL) dressing; Carb choice: 1; Fats choice: 1; Carbohydrate: 15 g; Fibre: 1 g; Protein: 3 g; Fat: 5 g (Saturated 1 g); Sodium: 187 mg; Calories: 144