Lea & Perrins Glazed Skirt Steak with Spiced Onion Frits
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Beautiful presentation, easy to do! What more are you looking for when coming up with a menu to serve guests? Pair this with a glass of red wine for the perfect French bistro meal!
- 14 oz (400 g) trimmed Canadian beef skirt steak
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 large sweet onions (Vidalia) sliced thin
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 oz (30 g) flour
- 8 3/4 cups (2 litres) vegetable oil (for frying onions)
- 1 oz (30 g) honey
- 1/2 oz (15 g) white sugar
- 1 oz (30 g) olive oil Sea salt to taste Coarse ground black (Malabar) pepper
- 20 spears asparagus (or other green vegetable)
- 1 oz (30 g) butter
- 1 lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon
The day before serving, soak onions in milk with 1/3 cup of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Dry onions and toss in flour to coat. Fry in vegetable oil at 350 F (180 C) until golden. Toss with sea salt. Reserve warm.
Create a Lea & Perrins Worcestershire reduction by combining 1/3 cup of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce with honey and sugar. Simmer until reduced to syrup. Cool and place in a squeeze bottle.
Cook asparagus in heavily salted boiling water until bright green and just tender. Drain and toss with butter, lemon zest and sea salt. Reserve warm.
Toss skirt steak with olive oil, 5 tsp (25 mL) of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, sea salt and coarse ground pepper. Grill to rare and then start basting with reduction syrup while turning until medium rare. Remove from grill and rest 4 minutes. Slice thinly and serve with onion frits and buttered asparagus.