Mushroom, Barley and Kale Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A hearty soup full of vitamins and goodness and fragrant with dill. Substitute chickpeas for barley and add cooked sausage for a totally different flavour.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil 25 mL
- 1 lb sliced fresh Mushrooms 500 g
- 2 stalks celery, chopped 2
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced 2
- 4 cups beef, chicken or vegetable broth 1 L
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 1/3 cup barley 75 mL
- 1 large bay leaf 1
- 4 cups finely sliced kale leaves 1 L
- 2-3 tbsp minced fresh dill (2 tsp/10 mL dried dill weed) 25-35 mL
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp salt 1-2 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
In a large saucepan or soup pot heat oil over medium high heat; add mushrooms, celery, onion and garlic. Stir and cook 4-5 minutes. Add broth, water, barley and bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce to simmering, cover and cook 20 minutes.
Stir in kale and dill; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until barley and kale are tender. Taste adding salt to taste (depending on type of broth used) and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Remove the tough stalk from kale before slicing leaves. As soup stands the barley absorbs water; add water or broth to desired consistency.
Omit barley and add 2 cups (500 mL) drained canned chickpeas with the kale.
Add 4 oz (125 g) chopped smoked or cooked spicy sausage with the kale.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings