Fresh Poached Salmon Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Turkey again? Not this year! This California salmon salad offers a nice light alternative to the traditional heavy holiday meal. If you don't want to end up belly up on the couch after dinner another year, then buck tradition and break out the salad spinner.
- 4 Fresh California King Salmon Fillets 4
- 2 cups white wine or vegetable broth 500 mL
- 2 cups clam juice or fish stock 500 mL
- 1 lemon, quartered 1
- 2 mint sprigs 2
- 8 oz mixed salad greens 250 g
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cubes, well drained 500 mL
- 1 1/3 cups fresh raspberries 325 mL
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced 2
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro 125 mL
In a medium skillet or fish poacher, bring to a boil wine, clam juice, lemon and mint sprigs.
Add the salmon, skin side up. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 8-10 minutes until cooked through.
Remove salmon from poaching liquid. Cool to room temperature and remove skin.
Arrange salad greens on each of four large dinner plates. Arrange salmon, pineapple, raspberries and kiwi on the greens. Drizzle with Raspberry-Orange Vinaigrette and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar 125 mL
- 1/4 cup orange juice 50 mL
- 3 tbsp olive oil 45 mL
- 3 tbsp shallots, minced 45 mL
- 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped 45 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/8 tsp white pepper 0.5 mL
In a small bowl, whisk together the raspberry vinegar, orange juice, olive oil, shallots, mint leaves, honey, salt and white pepper.
Recipe Courtesy of: The California Salmon Council