California Apple-Raisin Cookies
Contributed by: News Canada
Tart and tangy meal ideas with California Granny Smith apples
(NC) - California Granny Smith apples are bold, crispy and bursting with a distinctive sweet-tart taste. Try a quick and easy Granny Smith recipe for a delicious serving of fibre, vitamin A, vitamin C and iron.
- 2 California Granny Smith apples, cored and minced 2
- 1/2 cup raisins 125 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped dates 125 mL
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
- 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds 125 mL
- 1/2 tsp baking powder 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 2mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 125 mL
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal 250 mL
- 2 large eggs 2
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease baking sheet; set aside.
Stir together flour, sunflower seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat brown sugar with shortening until creamy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Stir in flour mixture, then oatmeal, California apples, raisins and dates.
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.
Visit www.calapple.org and www.tasteus.com.
Serving Size: Makes 48 Cookies