Caramelized Onion and Herb Stuffing
Contributed by: News Canada
- 3 cups (750 mL) Minute Rice Whole Grain Rice, uncooked
- 4 tsp (20 mL) each olive oil and butter
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chicken broth, divided
- 4 tsp (20 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each finely chopped marinated artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each chopped fresh basil and parsley leaves
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Prepare the rice according to the package directions; reserve.
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high.
Sprinkle the sugar over the onions; cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until onions are a deep golden colour. Stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the chicken broth and the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring, until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove the skillet from the heat and cool slightly.
Toss the reserved rice with the onion mixture, artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, basil and parsley. Whisk the remaining broth with the eggs until combined. Pour over the rice mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until set. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 206 calories, 6 g fat, 4 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 318 mg sodium. Good source of vitamin C and magnesium.