Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
LouAna Tailgating Fried Oysters
Contributed by: NAPSA
Oysters A Delight For Game Day With Juicy, Fried Flavor
(NAPSA) - Oysters make some people dream of the coast, while they make others remember a special romantic evening. Now, even more people will think football when they devour this tailgating Fried Oysters recipe.
The peanut oil adds a robust, nutty flavor and intensifies the crispy texture of the breading. It also seals in the oyster's juices. While fresh oysters are best, this recipe makes even the canned variety taste great.
- 2 gallons LouAna peanut oil
- 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 2/3 cup hot sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 pounds shucked oysters
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 (8-inch) pieces baguette
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
Use a traditional propane fryer outdoors away from wooden decks, in accordance with the manufacturer's safety procedures. Or use a Masterbuilt Electric Deep Fryer in your kitchen and follow the directions.
Preparation and Cooking
Instead of sandwiches, you can fry the oysters to serve with cocktail sauce or ranch dressing for an appetizer.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer; heat to 375 degrees. Combine cornmeal, flour, paprika and salt in a shallow dish. Combine hot sauce and egg in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add oysters to hot sauce mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture. Fry oysters at 375 degrees for 11/2 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove oysters.
- For sandwich, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, mayonnaise, mustard and juice, stirring well. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture over cut sides of bread slices. Place 1 lettuce leaf on the bottom half of each bread slice; top with 1 red onion slice and 2 tomato slices. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, if desired. Divide oysters evenly among sandwiches; place top halves of bread slices on each. Cut sandwiches in half. Serve immediately.
Visit www.louana.com for complete information on preparation, frying and safety.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings