Greek Cashew Nut Soup
Contributed by: Robert Cerello
- 3/4 medium brown onion, well-chopped
- 1/4 small purple onion, well-chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tblsps. olive oil
- 1 Cup salted roasted cashews, about 4 1/2 oz.
- 1 Tblsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. Hot Hungarian paprika, or to taste
- 3 1/2 Cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Italian parsley
- mint chopped
- fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in a saute pan over high heat, and add garlic, sauteeing just until golden turning as needed.
Add both onions then salt and black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring every thirty seconds, until translucent, and finally as soft as is desired,about 6--8 minutes at most.
Transfer to a blender. Add cashews, tomato paste, hot Hungarian paprika, and 2 Cups chicken broth. Puree very smooth, about 1 minute.
Return to the saucepan. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 Cups of chicken broth. Simmer to thicken, stirring every twenty seconds, gently, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute more.
Garnish, as noted.
Season soup with extra salt or 1/8 tsp. seasoned salt at table, if desired.
Serving Size: Makes 3 - 4 Servings as a side dish