POM Roasted Vegetable Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Time to table: 20 minutes prep, 20 minutes roasting
- 1/2 cup arils from 1 POM Wonderful Pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- juice from 2-3 POM Wonderful Pomegranates* or 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Garlic Croutons (optional)
- 4 slices sturdy bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
Chop all vegetables except lettuce leaves and arils into 2-inch pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper; roast until al dente, approximately 20 minutes.
Mix in a blender or shake all dressing ingredients in an air-tight container until well blended. Heat dressing in a small saucepan and keep warm.
Place lettuce leaves on serving plates and divide the warm vegetables evenly among them; drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm dressing.
Sprinkle with arils, feta cheese and garlic croutons.
Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 clove crushed garlic.
Toss bread cubes with oil and garlic mixture.
Transfer to a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese.
Toast at 425 F until brown, turning once.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Set the juice aside.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Main Dish Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving without Croutons (1 3/4 cups): 346 calories, 5g protein, 64g carbohydrate, 11g total fat (3g saturated), 13mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 5g dietary fiber, 368mcg vitamin A RE, 90mg vitamin C.
Per Serving with Croutons (1 cup): 473 calories, 9g protein, 84g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (4g saturated), 14mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 7g dietary fiber, 370mcg vitamin A RE, 90mg vitamin C.